Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Energy Conservation Reflection

This project was not fun to do, but it helped me realize how much fuel I could be saving. The reason it wasn't fun is because I had to sit in a cold car and wait for the engine to arrive at normal operating temperature. Usually the car is garaged...

I developed a greater awareness of fuel cost during this project as well. It's unfortunate that I had to wait until gas prices raged out of control to become aware. I also learned not only about block heaters, but about other ways to keep the engine fliuds warm to assist in morning warm-ups. There are heated oil dipsticks, battery warmers, oil pan warmers, and different types of each. This is all still new to someone from California. The remote starter on the vehicles I drove in California were more of a novelty...talk about a waste of fuel.

Talking to a camera is not as engaging as a live audience. I was not comfortable, as you can see from my youtube presentation.

Strengths:
  • Visuals were easy to see

  • I was familiar about the topic

  • The data gathering is part of my gas fill up ritual

Weaknesses:

  • I speak fast when I'm not comfortable

  • When I speak fast, my pronunciation slurs a little

  • It sounds more like I'm reporting, than giving a presentation

  • Where to put my hands when there's no podium?

This is something I would definitely share with my students and is even worth having them do something similar.

No comments: